Day 1.7

I feel like this is the last day I will start over. I really hope so. Yesterday was another day where I got in my own way. I got frustrated at absolutely nothing and reacted very poorly. Over NOTHING! I used to think that I only got mad when my kids reacted badly, but in reality I get frustrated when my kids act like kids. A part of me feels like I never really got to act like a kid. Not that I never got to run around and have fun, but that I was never allowed to act out the way most kids do at some point.

After reading some more of the book - which I should have been doing all along - I learned a few more tips:
1) Yell into a cupboard, purse, toilet, etc. Basically, yell at anything other than your kids. I'm not really sure that I will do this, because I'm not sure I can control myself enough to actually yell somewhere else, but it seems like a great idea and something I can try to do when I have reached my boiling point and can't stop myself.

2) Post orange sticky notes around the house to remind yourself not to yell. This one actually seems like it might work. I'm not that fond of the color orange. I wish there was another color that I could use that had the same effect, but I think that orange might just be it. On top of it being a very eye catching color, it is also a color that will be very prevalent very soon as we are approaching fall. 

3) Write down your triggers! Ok so I heard about this one before I actually read the book, and I kinda misinterpreted it. I wrote down a bunch of my triggers before I actually started.  But when she had suggested was to write down all the times you wanted to yell in order to figure out what triggers you. I actually know what triggers me, though. And even if I wrote down every episode that made me want to yell, I think that I would come up with the same list; plus or minus one. However, I think that writing down times that I want to yell might actually be a huge release for me. Since writing helps clear my head and calm me down, it might release some of my frustrations. I'm definitely going to try this.

Tomorrow will be on to day 2 - luckily I made it through day 1 without ever wanting to yell. I can't really take credit for that, I know that I just wasn't faced with any of my triggers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triggers

Minimalism With A Family