Day 2
So I successfully made it through a second day without yelling at my kids. Or anyone else for that matter. I want to say that it was easy - or even that it was hard, but I managed. The real truth is that I probably just got lucky. It was an average day with average frustrations. I think having made the decision not to yell probably stuck in the back of my mind and helped keep me a bit calmer. The other thing is that I really just had a lot on my mind today. I was too self absorbed to really allow anything else to bother me.
One thing I have noticed is that I do yell to get their attention too often. And it really doesn't work. They either just ignore me completely or they just look at me first, then ignore me. Yelling their name doesn't stop them from hurting each other or from doing something naughty. I need to look back at my list and see what might work - maybe singing really loudly? Clapping definitely doesn't work either. I would whistle but I can't and even if I could, it would eventually become ineffective too. I definitely need to be more aware of the situations and either separate them more or just move faster when I see things start to escalate.
I REALLY need to find a way to have my time during the day. I need to make sure that I am eating, drinking, and resting. I need to be more present in mind when I am with them, but I also need to be more present with myself during the day too. I need to stop and check in with my body more. Mr Miyagi says that when you are off balance with yourself nothing will go right. Must have balance.
One thing I have noticed is that I do yell to get their attention too often. And it really doesn't work. They either just ignore me completely or they just look at me first, then ignore me. Yelling their name doesn't stop them from hurting each other or from doing something naughty. I need to look back at my list and see what might work - maybe singing really loudly? Clapping definitely doesn't work either. I would whistle but I can't and even if I could, it would eventually become ineffective too. I definitely need to be more aware of the situations and either separate them more or just move faster when I see things start to escalate.
I REALLY need to find a way to have my time during the day. I need to make sure that I am eating, drinking, and resting. I need to be more present in mind when I am with them, but I also need to be more present with myself during the day too. I need to stop and check in with my body more. Mr Miyagi says that when you are off balance with yourself nothing will go right. Must have balance.
Comments
Post a Comment